Thursday, October 23, 2008

Black Women Reporting Rape

Not only are we [Black women] dealing with racism and sexism from white mainstream society but we’re also dealing with sexism from our community and who we going to tell? Because nobody going to believe us and do we want to see our brother/father/boyfriend/lover/comrade get arrested?
This is the first post that i have done where i actually write my opinion on the subject. being a rape survivor, I've been in the above situation. The man who raped me was black and i knew him. the only thing about my situation was that i did report the man who raped me. and he was not arrested or serve time in jail or was punished. At first i didn't want to say anything because i thought no one would believe me. on that part i was right.
after i reported it no one did believe me. which only made me feel alone and i didn't trust after that. i still don't to this day, trust the police. i know it sounds bad but its the truth.
how do you advocate for someone to come forward with their problems so you can help them when you don't believe a word they are saying?? i mean really its a catch 22.
i honestly felt like i went through the whole process for nothing. calling the detective everyday about my case only having him ask me why am i calling him so much. not to mention during the time he interviewed me asked why i didn't give my rapist oral sex and did i think it was selfish of me not to do it.
last time i checked what happened to me was a crime......on top of that asking him what was taking me so long to write out my statement. I'm thinking to myself are you serious. after being raped i had to call your crappy ass police department.(Prince Georges County Police, Maryland) wait 4 hours for you to show up at the station because you wouldn't drive down here(Charles County, Maryland). then still have to wait for your ass to show up...........
gee i wonder why we don't open our mouth and say anything..........??????????????

No comments: